Frequently Asked Questions. For those with an insatiable curiosity.
For more than a century, folks have been curious about Chimney Rock and all it has to offer.
These are questions our Park associates answer the most. If you have others, please Contact Us and we will be happy to get you an answer to your question. Who knows? Your question may be next on this list.
The cost for a single day ticket is $17 per adult and $8 per youth (ages 5-15). Children under 5 are free.
However, for less than the cost of two days of admission, consider purchasing an annual pass that gets you into the Park for a whole year and also gives you discounts to other local attractions.
For more information, please see our Info and Tickets page.
15A NCAC 12B .1204 AVIATION
– A person shall not voluntarily bring, land or cause to descend or alight, ascend or take off within or upon any park area, any airplane, flying machine, balloon, parachute, glider, hang glider, or other apparatus for aviation. Voluntarily in this connection shall mean anything other than a forced landing.
– In park areas where aviation activities are part of the planned park activities, a special use permit will be required. Requests for permits may be made in the manner prescribed by Rule .0104 of this Subchapter.
Spring through fall seasons: 6pm (Eastern Daylight Time) or winter season: 5pm (Eastern Standard Time)
Yes, we’ve partnered with the best, most highly-accredited professional rock climbing guides around, Fox Mountain Guides. Reservation for climbing with Fox Mountain Guides must be made in advance. Rock climbing is also available at Rumbling Bald, part of Chimney Rock State Park, on Boys Camp Road. You can get a free permit to climb at Rumbling Bald at its trailhead. For more information go to http://www.foxmountainguides.com/rock-climbing/chimney-rock-park, or email them at, firstname.lastname@example.org
Although the Chimney itself and the trails are not wheelchair accessible, the view from the upper parking lot is almost as spectacular as the view from atop the Chimney. When the elevator is available, it can take guests up to the Sky Lounge patio level. A wheelchair is available for loan at no charge. Check with associates in Cliff Dwellers Gifts if you need one of them.
It takes about 1-1.5 hours minimum but you can easily spend a whole day exploring
Yes, RVs up to 40 ft. overall length can navigate the roadway into the Park. Be sure to pull to the left of the Ticket Plaza on arrival, park and go into the Ticket Plaza to purchase tickets and get additional information. If the parking lot is full, you can park in the Meadows and a Park associate will take you to the top.
– Wear good shoes – preferably hiking boots or sturdy sneakers.
– In warmer weather, consider a hat and well-ventilated clothing. Also, you never know when the weather will change in the mountains, so a light rain jacket or poncho is a good idea too.
– Bring along some bottled water, since there are no water fountains on the trails.
– Cover exposed skin with sunscreen.
– Bring a small backpack to carry supplies, including energy bars, so you can keep your hands free.
A: Regular prices are $32 for adults and $14 for youth ages 5-15. Or you can upgrade your 1-day admission tickets to Annual Passes for just $15 for adults and $6 for youth within 30 days of your visit with your dated receipt. That’s less than the cost of two regular admission tickets and entitles you to other great discounts too! Check out the Annual Pass page for more information.
Not usually, but we do occasionally offer special events that involve overnight camping. Check out our events page.
Yes, you can bring your own food. There is a large pavilion in the Meadows as well as tables along the roadway and trails. You can carry your picnic along with you while you hike and find the perfect place to eat and relax
Or, why not leave lunch up to us? We’ve got a great menu in the Sky Lounge (open March-November) up top or at our Old Rock Café down in Chimney Rock Village. Cliff Dwellers Gifts and the Sky Lounge gift shop carry snacks and beverages year ‘round. No matter where you get your meal, we have plenty of picnic tables throughout the Park where you can enjoy it.
Occasionally if it is very icy or if there is a flood warning we will close the Park for the day. We will always put an alert on our website when we close unexpectedly.
– Outcroppings Trail (leads to the top of Chimney Rock): 499 1-way
– Exclamation Point Trail (leads to 200 feet above Chimney Rock): 330 1-way
– Chimney Rock: 2,280 feet (315 feet tall)
– Exclamation Point: 2,480 feet
– Top Parking Lot: 1,965 feet
– Top of Hickory Nut Falls: 2,450 feet (404 feet tall)
– In the Meadows just past the Ticket Plaza
– On the upper parking lot level where the Outcroppings trail starts (seasonal)
– In the Sky Lounge at the top of Chimney Rock
Because our road is very narrow and curvy with limited sight distance, walking or cycling on the road is unsafe and is not permitted.
Price includes parking, access to all of our trails and the elevator (when in operation).
Yes, we love animals. Please follow these simple rules and you and your pet will have a great time:
– Keep pets on a leash under 6 ft. at all times.
– Clean up after your pet.
– Don’t leave your pet in your car – especially on hot days.
– One place your furry friend cannot go is our elevator. This is due to NC state health laws. Only service dogs for the blind and disabled are allowed in the elevator or the Sky Lounge.
Yes, just keep your receipt with you and be sure to drive through the Ticket Plaza and show your receipt when you return. Please be sure to return before the Ticket Plaza closes.
Seniors 65 and over: $2 off admission
AAA membership: Discount of $2 off adult and $1 off youth admission for up to 6 guests total, including the AAA member.
Military: We offer a military discount to any current or former service member. Present your proof of service or current military photo ID at the Ticket Plaza to receive $2 off adults and $1 off youth ages 5-15, good for up to 6 total guests including the military member. For Veterans Day, we offer FREE admission to the service member only, but extend the $2 off adult and $1 off youth discount to the other guests in the party (up to 6 guests total including the military member). Present proof of service or current military photo ID to receive free admission during our annual Veterans Day Special. See our website for details and this year’s valid dates for this offer.
Birthday: Bring your ID and come free on your birthday!
For the average adult, it takes about 25 minutes to walk up the 499-step Outcroppings trail to reach the Chimney.