Events Search and Views Navigation
Events List Navigation
Saturday, October 15 - Tuesday, November 15
Trees take center stage this month as they begin their dramatic fall transformation. Capture the beauty of fall color as we round out our celebration of NC State Parks’ Year of the Tree. Enter your fall photos for the chance to win great prizes.
GREAT PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED TO 3 WINNING ENTRIES
1st Prize: The winning photo will be our Facebook cover photo for two weeks, and the photographer will receive two annual passes to Chimney Rock State Park, two boat tour tickets from Lake Lure Tours, and dinner for two at the Old Rock Café.
2nd Prize: After the first place photo, the second place photo will be our Facebook cover photo for one week. The photographer will receive two annual passes to Chimney Rock State Park and dinner for two at the Old Rock Café.
3rd Prize: The third place photographer will receive two adult day passes (or one family pack of day passes) to Chimney Rock State Park and dinner for two at the Old Rock Café.
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken of Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between October 15, 2022 – November 15, 2022.
The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule #3.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to social media, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to email@example.com.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of the theme. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Finalists will be chosen by Chimney Rock staff and the winner will be voted on by the public. Decisions regarding winners are final.
Winners will be notified personally and announced on Chimney Rock’s social media. For more information, call 1-828-625-9611, ext. 1812 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday, November 7 - Friday, November 11
Chimney Rock honors veterans, reservists, retired and active military personnel with a free visit to Chimney Rock State Park from November 7-11, 2022. Must present military ID or proof of service.
Monday, November 7 - Monday, November 28
Spend an hour hiking one of the Parks’ six trails with a naturalist. Discover the fall flora and fauna of the Park on this educational excursion. You may even learn some of the Parks’ history as well. Meet in front of Cliff Dwellers Gifts.
Saturday, November 12
Join Namaste in Nature for a reflective meditation walk. De-stress on this hike focused on connection with yourself and the natural world. This fall mindfulness experience will center on the season of gratitude as the holidays approach.
Saturday, November 19
The trails of Chimney Rock in the fall are amazing, but a guided hike off-the-beaten-path can lead you to places you never knew existed. Join a naturalist and learn what fall brings to Hickory Nut Gorge. You’ll discover seasonal changes along your trek that will introduce you to a whole new perspective of the Park.
Friday, November 25 - Sunday, November 27
Did you know our staff had a wild side? Join a Park naturalist to meet some of our live Animal Ambassadors and learn what kind of wildlife inhabits the Park and their important roles in the ecosystem. Some of our best teachers have feathers, fur, shells or scales!