Events Search and Views Navigation
Friday, April 1 - Tuesday, May 31
NC State Parks’ Year of the Tree continues with a celebration of spring trees. Break out your camera and capture the transformation of trees from winter to spring as they show off their gorgeous blooms throughout the next few months. You may even win a prize for your efforts!
GREAT PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED TO 3 WINNING ENTRIES
1st Prize: The winning photo will be our Facebook cover photo for two weeks, and the photographer will receive two annual passes to Chimney Rock State Park, two boat tour tickets from Lake Lure Tours, and dinner for two at the Old Rock Café.
2nd Prize: After the first place photo, the second place photo will be our Facebook cover photo for one week. The photographer will receive two annual passes to Chimney Rock State Park and dinner for two at the Old Rock Café.
3rd Prize: The third place photographer will receive two adult day passes (or one family pack of day passes) to Chimney Rock State Park and dinner for two at the Old Rock Café.
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken of Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between April 1, 2022 – May 31, 2022.
The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule #3.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to social media, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to [email protected].
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of the theme. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Finalists will be chosen by Chimney Rock staff and the winner will be voted on by the public. Decisions regarding winners are final.
Winners will be notified personally and announced on Chimney Rock’s social media. For more information, call 1-828-625-9611, ext. 1812 or email us at [email protected].
Saturday, April 9
Hickory Nut Gorge comes alive in the spring as wildflowers emerge along the trails. Join a Park naturalist on this moderate hike and learn to spot and identify these spring blooms. The journey will take you along the Hickory Nut Falls Trail and down the Four Seasons Trail. Transportation will be provided back to the top lot.
Friday, April 15
Think outside the studio and enjoy the quiet of the Park after the gates have closed with this yoga practice for all levels of expertise. The mountains are said to be a natural vortex of spiritual energy, which makes Chimney Rock an ideal setting for connecting your spirit with nature at this outdoor class overlooking Hickory Nut Gorge and Lake Lure.
Saturday, April 16 - Sunday, April 24
Did you know our staff had a wild side? Join a Park naturalist to meet some of our live Animal Ambassadors and learn what kind of wildlife inhabits the Park and their important roles in the ecosystem. Some of our best teachers have feathers, fur, shells or scales!
Sunday, April 17
**All passes have been reserved**
There are no more parking passes available for the 66th Annual Easter Sunrise Service but you can still catch the service and watch the sunrise over the beautiful Hickory Nut Gorge virtually. Join us on our Facebook page at 6:30am on Sunday, April 17th for a live stream of the service. If you miss the live stream, you can watch it later on our YouTube Channel.
Celebrate the glory of Easter with song, scripture and spiritual music as a spectacular sunrise ascends over Lake Lure. Chimney Rock’s nondenominational Easter Sunrise Service has become a legendary event in western North Carolina. The event is free but reservations are required.
5:15 – 6:00 am – Gates open for visitors with a reserved parking pass
6:00 am – Gates close for admittance
6:30 – 7am – Easter Sunrise Service
The trails will open following the service. If you are hungry, we will be serving an early breakfast immediately after the service at the Old Rock Café near the entrance of the Park.
Please Note: The parking is limited, so attendees will be required to reserve a parking pass in advance in order to attend the service. The parking pass is complimentary and will be available on our website starting on March 1st, 2022. Carpooling is recommended. Vehicles can be no larger than a 16-passenger van.
Saturday, April 23
Join a Park naturalist on the Hickory Nut Falls trail, and watch as the Park comes alive under the shadow of darkness. Do you know whether that’s a frog or a toad calling from the undergrowth? What birds and mammals prefer the dark to the daylight? Get ready to learn more about the Park’s rarely-seen residents.
Wednesday, April 27
Chimney Rock’s Spring Homeschool Day is the perfect way to get out and enjoy the beauty of spring! Join our education team for programs created to peak your student’s interest in the natural world around us. After morning activities conclude, hang out for a fun-filled afternoon in the Park with plenty of ways to expand your experience.
Registration closes April 22, 2022.
Saturday, April 30 - Sunday, May 1
Don’t miss the only chance for Boy Scouts to camp under the stars at Chimney Rock. Gather your troop and get ready for an action-packed weekend of exploration in the Park. New friends and new experiences await.
For questions and booking contact [email protected]