Events Search and Views Navigation
Events List Navigation
Wednesday, June 1 - Wednesday, August 31
Did you know our staff had a wild side? Join a Park naturalist to meet some of our live Animal Ambassadors and learn what kind of wildlife inhabits the Park and their important roles in the ecosystem. Some of our best teachers have feathers, fur, shells or scales!
Friday, July 1 - Wednesday, August 31
As the bright green leaves darken to their summer colors, we are continuing our celebration of NC State Parks’ Year of the Tree. Whether we always notice them or not, trees are a part of every famous view at Chimney Rock. For our summer photo contest, get creative by shooting “Trees with a View.” Maybe you’ll spot a poplar overlooking a view of Lake Lure or a majestic maple on the Skyline Trail. Send us your best shots for a chance to win a prize.
GREAT PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED TO 3 WINNING ENTRIES
1st Prize: The winning photo will be our Facebook cover photo for two weeks, and the photographer will receive two annual passes to Chimney Rock State Park, two boat tour tickets from Lake Lure Tours, and dinner for two at the Old Rock Café.
2nd Prize: After the first place photo, the second place photo will be our Facebook cover photo for one week. The photographer will receive two annual passes to Chimney Rock State Park and dinner for two at the Old Rock Café.
3rd Prize: The third place photographer will receive two adult day passes (or one family pack of day passes) to Chimney Rock State Park and dinner for two at the Old Rock Café.
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken of Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between July 1, 2022 – August 31, 2022.
The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule #3.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to social media, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to email@example.com.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of the theme. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Finalists will be chosen by Chimney Rock staff and the winner will be voted on by the public. Decisions regarding winners are final.
Winners will be notified personally and announced on Chimney Rock’s social media. For more information, call 1-828-625-9611, ext. 1812 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, July 15
Think outside the studio and enjoy the quiet of the Park after the gates have closed with this yoga practice for all levels of expertise. The mountains are said to be a natural vortex of spiritual energy, which makes Chimney Rock an ideal setting for connecting your spirit with nature at this outdoor class overlooking Hickory Nut Gorge and Lake Lure.
Saturday, July 16
Go off the beaten path and explore a rarely-seen area of Chimney Rock. Old-growth stands can be found in rare pockets throughout the Blue Ridge, and one of those small areas is right here in the Park. This moderate hike rambles through an area typically not open to the public in order to introduce participants to characteristics of old growth forests and native trees.
Saturday, July 16
Live music returns to the Old Rock Cafe with our new music series: Playing for our Partners. Come enjoy an evening of good food and good music on the deck overlooking the Rocky Broad River and support a good cause, too. A percentage of proceeds from each event in the series will benefit one of our local non-profit partners. The July event will feature musician Walter Finley and will support the Chimney Rock Village CDA.
*This event is at the Old Rock Cafe, not inside the Park*