Events List Navigation
Saturday, September 22 - Friday, November 30
Nothing works up an appetite quite like a long hike. Capture photos of your family enjoying a picnic or grilling up a storm at one of the Park’s picnic areas, or eating lunch at the Park’s restaurant Old Rock Café, and enter them into our fall photo contest. We’ll use the winning entries on our website and Facebook album, and you’ll win some fun prizes. Photos must be taken within the Chimney Rock section of the Park or at Old Rock Cafe.
GREAT PRIZES FOR THE WINNERS:
First Place – An overnight getaway to Hickory Nut Gorge with a stay at the historic 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, two passes to Chimney Rock, brunch for two at the 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, and two tickets for a tour with Lake Lure Boat Tours
Second Place – A Chimney Rock prize package including two passes to Chimney Rock, lunch for two at the Old Rock Café and two tickets for a tour with Lake Lure Boat Tours.
People’s Choice – Selected by our Facebook fans, the winning photo will be featured as the cover photo of our Facebook page for two weeks and the cover of our Pinterest board of winning photos. Prize includes two Park admission tickets, lunch for two at the Old Rock Café and a $20 gift certificate for Old Time Photo in Chimney Rock Village.
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken inside Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between Sept. 22, 2018- Nov. 30, 2018. The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page and share our photo contest post on your wall. Then post your photo to our wall with the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words) through your personal Facebook account. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule #3.
- Pinterest: First, re-pin our photo contest pin to one of your boards and follow our 2017 The Different Seasons of Chimney Rock Spring Photo Contest Board so we can easily contact you. Then pin your photo with the hashtags #chimneyrock AND #photocontest with your personal account, and include the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words).
- Twitter: First, follow Chimney Rock Park and retweet our tweet about the photo contest. Then tweet your photo to @ChimneyRockPark with the photographer’s name and the hashtag #photocontest. Next, send us private messages with your brief photo caption.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to any social media sites listed above, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to email@example.com.
- Snail Mail: Send your print photo with the clearly marked photographer’s name, city & state, a brief typed photo caption and a phone number to: Photo Contest, Chimney Rock Management LLC, PO Box 39, Chimney Rock, NC 28720.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption your photo of the Seasons of Chimney Rock, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of a face of Chimney Rock. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
Wednesday, November 7 - Sunday, November 11
Veterans, reservists, retired and active military personnel are our American heroes, and Chimney Rock would like to honor your service with a free visit to Chimney Rock State Park during November 7-11, 2018. Must present military ID or proof of service.
Saturday, November 10
Chimney Rock’s scouting events are some of our most popular events of the year. Our Fall Girl Scout Day is designed to let scouts enjoy the last weeks of autumn in one of North Carolina’s most incredible settings. Special programs created just for Girl Scouts will leave your troop with new skills, knowledge and memories they’ll carry with them for a lifetime. Specific details on program and afternoon activities can be found here.
Call 828.625.9611 to register. Registration closes October 29 and is limited to 200 scouts.
Saturday, November 17
Imagine spending your day with one of Mother Nature’s most majestic and funny creatures—the llama. From 11 am – 3 pm, Annual Passholders are invited on a llama adventure like no other. Try your hand at fashion during the llama hat making contest. After you’ve created the perfect head adornment, test your reflexes and speed with llama limbo and a llama relay! At the end of the day, passholders will be treated to a hike to Hickory Nut Falls with several llamas, where they’ll enjoy lunch.
Space is limited, so reserve your spot today. Please use the link below to register and select your lunch option.
11-11:30 am – Hat making contest
12-1 pm – Llama Limbo/ Llama Relay
1-3 pm – Guided llama hike to Hickory Nut Falls/lunch
Friday, November 23 - Sunday, November 25
We are lucky to have incredible Animal Educators to help us spread the word on the important roles they play in the Park. Join one of our Park naturalists for an informal program where your family will love meeting some of our wilder teammates! Kids of all ages are sure to take home some fun facts and special memories. Then, grab a Track Trail brochure at the Animal Discovery Den and round out the day with a hike along our Great Woodland Adventure trail with 12 education stations. Don’t forget your camera!
Saturday, November 24
Of course, we are known for our amazing views, but some of the most incredible aspects of this area are often overlooked. Local naturalist Clint Calhoun has spent decades researching and studying what makes the ecology of Chimney Rock State Park and Hickory Nut Gorge so unique. Join him for this moderate hike to learn so much more about what makes our area so special. This hike is considered moderate.
We love our visitor’s furry friends, but we do understand that some hike participants may consider animals a distraction on the trail. Pets are not allowed on Naturalist Niche hikes because of this.
Space is limited to 15. Please use the link below to register. Cost includes Park admission for the day.