Events Search and Views Navigation
Events List Navigation
Thursday, June 1 - Thursday, August 31
Do you know our staff has a wild side? Join a Park naturalist to meet some of our live Animal Ambassadors and learn about the types of wildlife in the area and their jobs. Some of our best educators have feathers, fur, shells or scales!
Saturday, July 1 - Thursday, August 31
Summer is the busiest hiking season of the year, and we’re continuing our celebration of NC State Parks’ Year of the Trail accordingly. Send us your best shots from your summer adventures on the trails. You may even win a prize!
GREAT PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED TO 3 WINNING ENTRIES
1st Prize: The winning photo will be our Facebook cover photo for two weeks, and the photographer will receive two annual passes to Chimney Rock State Park and lunch for four at the Old Rock Café.
2nd Prize: After the first place photo, the second place photo will be our Facebook cover photo for one week. The photographer will receive one annual pass to Chimney Rock State Park and lunch for two at the Old Rock Café.
3rd Prize: The third place photographer will receive two adult day passes (or one family pack of day passes) to Chimney Rock State Park and lunch for two at the Old Rock Café.
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken of Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between July 1, 2023- August 31, 2023.
The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule #3.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to social media, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to email@example.com.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of the theme. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Winners will be chosen by a team of Chimney Rock staff. Decisions regarding winners are final.
Winners will be notified personally and announced on Chimney Rock’s social media. For more information, call 1-828-625-9611, ext. 1812 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday, August 9 - Wednesday, August 30
This program is open to everyone regardless of age, weight, ability, or fitness level.
Hiking or trail running is a great way to enjoy the great outdoors and stay in shape.
Come walk, hike, or run as much as you can for one hour on the 1.5 mile Rumbling
Bald Loop Trail. Park staff of different fitness levels will be available to lead you along
the trail. Come each week and see if you can improve your time from last week! This event is free and no registration is required. Meet at the Rumbling Bald Park access.
Wednesday, August 9
Awaken your senses to the natural world on this unique hike. There’s always a lot to see in the forest, but what do you hear? What do you smell? What do you feel? Get ready to experience Chimney Rock in a whole new way on this brand new guided hike. This event is exclusively for Annual Passholders.
Saturday, August 12
Join us at the Old Rock Cafe for an evening of food and music overlooking the Rocky Broad River. Local musician Mike Pauer will provide the tunes, and the Old Rock Crew will be cooking up delicious dinner. A portion of proceeds from the evening will go to benefit Kids in Parks.
*There is no cost for this event. Menu items at the Old Rock Cafe are priced individually.
Sunday, August 13
Race to the Rock returns this year as part of the Lake Lure Olympiad. This is one of only two times in the year you can run or walk on the Park road. Runners for this event will begin in Chimney Rock village and run the 3-mile road to the top. It’s a challenge, but the view makes it worth it. For more information, pricing, and registration, please visit https://www.lakelureolympiad.org/race-to-the-rock
*Please note, registration is not available through Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park. Please visit the Lake Lure Olympiad site for details and registration.
Saturday, August 19
Hickory Nut Gorge and Chimney Rock are home to many species of fabulous fungi. Whether you’re a mycology expert or a casual observer of these mysterious mushrooms, there’s a lot to learn on this guided hike with a naturalist as you investigate some terrific toadstools. Note: this hike is considered moderately strenuous.
Friday, August 25
Enjoy the quiet of the Park after the gates have closed at this outdoor class led by Namaste in Nature. Enjoy a practice suitable for all levels of expertise as you overlook Lake Lure and Hickory Nut Gorge. You won’t find a view like this in any studio!
Saturday, August 26
Watch as the Park comes alive under the shadow of darkness on this guided evening excursion with a Park naturalist. Do you know which animals come out along the Hickory Nut Falls trail when the sun goes down? Get ready to learn more about the Park’s rarely-seen residents. Note: The Hickory Nut Falls trail is approximately 3/4 of a mile each direction and is considered a moderate trail. Participants must be able to hike the trail out and back. This trail is not suitable for wheelchairs or strollers.
Sunday, August 27
Join a Park Ranger on bike patrol for this rare adventure during Year of the Trail. The Park will be opening the main park road and the Hickory Nut Falls Trail for mountainbiking for one night only. We will start at the entrance gate to Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park and climb all the way out to the base of a 400-foot waterfall!
This is a 9-mile round trip, strenuous pedal on both paved road and gravel trail. This event will be after hours so there will be no visitors or other hikers on the roador trail. You must register for this event! Participants must provide your own bikes, and ride under control. Safety equipment required: helmet, bike light or headlamp, and plenty of drinking fluids and snacks. Dressfor changing seasonal weather.
Wednesday, August 30
Feeling a little blue? You are not the only one. On August 30 the second full Moon,
known as the Blue Moon or Supermoonn will be largest in the sky at 9:36 p.m. Meet a
Park Ranger at 8:30 p.m. at Chimney Rock Brewing Company as we embark on a
one-mile night hike to the top of Shumont Mountain. From here we should be able
to see the entire lower section of the Hickory Nut Gorge and Lake Lure basking in
the full glow of this Blue Moon! Wear sturdy boots, bring water and flashlights. This event is free but registration is required.
Note: This trail is considered difficult.