Events Search and Views Navigation
Events List Navigation
Sunday, October 15 - Wednesday, November 15
The trails come alive in fall as the trees transform and leaves blanket the paths. This contest will round out our celebration of NC State Parks’ Year of the Trail. We can’t wait to see the photos you capture as you enjoy fall hiking in the Park. Enter your best shots to win prizes!
GREAT PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED TO 3 WINNING ENTRIES
1st Prize: The winning photo will be our Facebook cover photo for two weeks, and the photographer will receive two annual passes to Chimney Rock State Park and lunch for four at the Old Rock Café.
2nd Prize: After the first place photo, the second place photo will be our Facebook cover photo for one week. The photographer will receive one annual pass to Chimney Rock State Park and lunch for two at the Old Rock Café.
3rd Prize: The third place photographer will receive two adult day passes (or one family pack of day passes) to Chimney Rock State Park and lunch for two at the Old Rock Café.
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken of Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between October 15, 2023 – November 15, 2023.
The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule #3.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to social media, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to email@example.com.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of the theme. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Winners will be chosen by a team of Chimney Rock staff. Decisions regarding winners are final.
Winners will be notified personally and announced on Chimney Rock’s social media. For more information, call 1-828-625-9611, ext. 1812 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday, November 6 - Monday, November 27
Spend an hour hiking one of the Parks’ six trails with a naturalist. Discover the fall flora and fauna of the Park on this educational excursion. You may even learn some of the Park’s history as well. Meet in front of Cliff Dwellers Gifts.
Wednesday, November 8
Have you heard of our legendary Basswood tree? Designated as a Champion Tree, it’s certainly nothing to scoff at. Not many guests see it, as it is not along one of our marked trails. Venture off the beaten path on this moderate-to-strenuous hike with the help of an experienced guide to visit the famous basswood and learn what makes it special. This event is exclusively for Annual Passholders.
Friday, November 10 - Sunday, November 12
Chimney Rock honors veterans, reservists, retired and active military personnel with a free visit to Chimney Rock State Park from November 10-12, 2023. Must present military ID or proof of service.
Saturday, November 11
Join Namaste in Nature for a reflective meditation walk. As the holidays approach, take time for self-care and de-stress away from the hustle and bustle. Reconnect with nature and yourself this fall.
Saturday, November 18
Though most migrating birds have made their way through our area by this point in the year there are plenty of species who will spend the cooler months with us. The opening canopy due to falling leaves makes late fall a great time to witness some of these feathered friends. Join a local birding expert to identify some of these species.
Friday, November 24 - Sunday, November 26
Do you know our staff has a wild side? Join a Park naturalist to meet some of our live Animal Ambassadors and learn about the types of wildlife in the area and their jobs. Some of our best educators have feathers, fur, shells or scales!