Events Search and Views Navigation
Events List Navigation
Saturday, April 1 - Wednesday, May 31
NC State Parks’ Year of the Trail continues with a celebration of how our trails transform each spring. Bring your camera on your next excursion in the park and capture budding wildflowers, spring hikers, or whatever you encounter along the way. You may even win a prize for your efforts!
GREAT PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED TO 3 WINNING ENTRIES
1st Prize: The winning photo will be our Facebook cover photo for two weeks, and the photographer will receive two annual passes to Chimney Rock State Park and lunch for four at the Old Rock Café.
2nd Prize: After the first place photo, the second place photo will be our Facebook cover photo for one week. The photographer will receive one annual pass to Chimney Rock State Park and lunch for two at the Old Rock Café.
3rd Prize: The third place photographer will receive two adult day passes (or one family pack of day passes) to Chimney Rock State Park and lunch for two at the Old Rock Café.
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken of Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between April 1, 2023– May 31, 2023.
The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule #3.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to social media, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to email@example.com.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of the theme. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Winners will be chosen by a team of Chimney Rock staff. Decisions regarding winners are final.
Winners will be notified personally and announced on Chimney Rock’s social media. For more information, call 1-828-625-9611, ext. 1812 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday, May 3
Enjoy this intimate spring birding walk with a local bird expert and get to know your fellow passholders, too. Scope out some of our many resident species as they enjoy the late spring weather from our spot on the NC Birding Trail. This event is exclusively for Annual Passholders.
Saturday, May 6
Watch as the Park comes alive under the shadow of darkness on this guided evening excursion with a Park naturalist. Do you know which animals come out along the Hickory Nut Falls trail when the sun goes down? Get ready to learn more about the Park’s rarely-seen residents.
Wednesday, May 10
Chimney Rock’s Spring Homeschool Day is the perfect way to shake off the winter cobwebs and enjoy the beauty of spring! Join our education team for programs created to engage your student’s interest in the natural world around us. After morning activities conclude, hang out for a fun-filled afternoon in the Park with plenty of ways to expand your experience.
Friday, May 12
Enjoy the quiet of the Park after the gates have closed at this outdoor class led by Namaste in Nature. Enjoy a practice suitable for all levels of expertise as you overlook Lake Lure and Hickory Nut Gorge. You won’t find a view like this in any studio!
Saturday, May 13
Budding spring wildflowers make this an exciting time of year for our guests, staff, and pollinators! Join a naturalist and discover what butterfly species call the Park home, which blooms are their favorites, and what they bring to our ecosystem.
Saturday, May 20 - Sunday, May 21
Looking for a weekend of exploration and excitement for your troop? Look no further than our biggest scout event of the year! Enjoy a day of hands-on programming and hikes in the Park. Then, head home or keep the fun going by camping out under the stars.
Registration closes May 10 and is limited to 150 scouts.