Events Search and Views Navigation
Events List Navigation
Saturday, April 1 - Wednesday, May 31
NC State Parks’ Year of the Trail continues with a celebration of how our trails transform each spring. Bring your camera on your next excursion in the park and capture budding wildflowers, spring hikers, or whatever you encounter along the way. You may even win a prize for your efforts!
GREAT PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED TO 3 WINNING ENTRIES
1st Prize: The winning photo will be our Facebook cover photo for two weeks, and the photographer will receive two annual passes to Chimney Rock State Park and lunch for four at the Old Rock Café.
2nd Prize: After the first place photo, the second place photo will be our Facebook cover photo for one week. The photographer will receive one annual pass to Chimney Rock State Park and lunch for two at the Old Rock Café.
3rd Prize: The third place photographer will receive two adult day passes (or one family pack of day passes) to Chimney Rock State Park and lunch for two at the Old Rock Café.
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken of Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between April 1, 2023– May 31, 2023.
The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule #3.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to social media, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of the theme. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Winners will be chosen by a team of Chimney Rock staff. Decisions regarding winners are final.
Winners will be notified personally and announced on Chimney Rock’s social media. For more information, call 1-828-625-9611, ext. 1812 or email us at email@example.com.
Saturday, April 1
Join a Park naturalist on a moderate hike and see Hickory Nut Gorge come alive as spring wildflowers emerge along the trails. The journey will take you along the Hickory Nut Falls Trail and down the Four Seasons Trail as you learn to identify some of our gorgeous spring blooms. Transportation will be provided back to the top lot.
Monday, April 3 - Sunday, April 16
Do you know our staff has a wild side? Join a Park naturalist to meet some of our live Animal Ambassadors and learn about the types of wildlife in the area and their jobs. Some of our best educators have feathers, fur, shells or scales!
Sunday, April 9
Celebrate Easter with song, scripture and spiritual music as a spectacular sunrise ascends over Lake Lure. Chimney Rock’s nondenominational Easter Sunrise Service has become a legendary event in western North Carolina. The event is free but reservations are required.
5:30 – 6:15 am – Gates open for visitors with a reserved parking pass
6:15 am – Gates close for admittance
6:45 – 7:15am – Easter Sunrise Service
The trails will open following the service. If you are hungry, we will be serving an early breakfast immediately after the service at the Old Rock Café near the entrance of the Park.
Please Note: The parking is limited, so attendees will be required to reserve a parking pass in advance in order to attend the service. The parking pass is complimentary and will be available on our website starting on March 1st, 2023. Carpooling is recommended. Vehicles can be no larger than a 16-passenger van.
Friday, April 14
Enjoy the quiet of the Park after the gates have closed at this outdoor class led by Namaste in Nature. Enjoy a practice suitable for all levels of expertise as you overlook Lake Lure and Hickory Nut Gorge. You won’t find a view like this in any studio!