Events Search and Views Navigation
Events List Navigation
Wednesday, January 1 - Saturday, February 29
Winter can be the most beautiful time of the year at Chimney Rock. Leafless trees make for expansive views of Lake Lure and the Hickory Nut Gorge. If the sky is clear, you’re likely to find a quiet spot to sit and enjoy the peacefulness and love of nature. The theme for this season’s photo contest is “Love at First Sight”. Capture that special moment or scene on your camera that fits this theme and enter it in our Winter “Love at First Sight” Photo Contest. We’ll use the winning entries on our website and Facebook album, and you’ll win some fun prizes. Photos must be taken within the Chimney Rock section of the Park.
GREAT PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED TO 3 WINNING ENTRIES
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken inside Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between January 1, 2020 – February 29, 2020.
The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page and share our photo contest post on your wall. Then post your photo to our wall with the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words) through your personal Facebook account. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule #3.
- Pinterest: First, re-pin our photo contest pin to one of your boards and follow our 2017 The Different Seasons of Chimney Rock Spring Photo Contest Board so we can easily contact you. Then pin your photo with the hashtags #chimneyrock AND #photocontest with your personal account, and include the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words).
- Twitter: First, follow Chimney Rock Park and retweet our tweet about the photo contest. Then tweet your photo to @ChimneyRockPark with the photographer’s name and the hashtag #photocontest. Next, send us private messages with your brief photo caption.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to any social media sites listed above, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to email@example.com.
- Snail Mail: Send your print photo with the clearly marked photographer’s name, city & state, a brief typed photo caption and a phone number to: Photo Contest, Chimney Rock Management LLC, PO Box 39, Chimney Rock, NC 28720.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption your photo of the Seasons of Chimney Rock, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of love at Chimney Rock. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
Winners will be notified and announced on Chimney Rock’s social media channels. For more information, call 1-800-277-9611 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday, January 1
Kick off the new year in Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park during this First Day Hike!
A Park Ranger will lead an informative discussion about the park’s history while the group strolls up to the 3.2-mile entrance road.
Usually restricted only to vehicle traffic, there will be no cars in your way if you show up for this special, early morning hike that’s free to participants!
Start at the park entrance next to the Old Rock Café at 8:00 a.m.
Cross a bridge over the Rocky Broad River that was first traversed in 1916, and continue your hike through history until you reach the top.
The park will provide shuttle transportation back down to your vehicles in Chimney Rock Village by 10:00 a.m.
Hike participants can return to the Park for the same day at no charge.
State parks across the nation are offering First Day Hikes as a way to promote healthy lifestyles and year-round recreation at America’s state parks.
Each year over 720 million people visit America’s state parks and contribute $23 billion to the economy.
State parks are a “close to home” resource and an important part of our national fabric, enhancing our quality of life.
We hope this hike inspires you to make state parks a regular part of your exercise routine and your life.
Bring plenty of drinking water, clothing suited to the weather, and wear sturdy hiking shoes.
This hike will be moderately strenuous up hill along a paved surface.
Advanced registration is not required. Please call the State Park office at 828-625-1823 if you have any questions