Events Search and Views Navigation
Events List Navigation
Monday, September 23 - Friday, December 20
Capture photos of your friends and family members enjoying the vivid hues of fall and enter them into our photo contest. We’ll use the winning entries on our website and Facebook album, and you’ll win some fun prizes. Photos must be taken within the Chimney Rock section of the Park or at Old Rock Cafe.
GREAT PRIZES FOR THE WINNERS:
First Place – An overnight getaway to Hickory Nut Gorge with a stay at the historic 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, two passes to Chimney Rock, brunch for two at the 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, and two tickets for a tour with Lake Lure Boat Tours
Second Place – A Chimney Rock prize package including two passes to Chimney Rock, lunch for two at the Old Rock Café and two tickets for a tour with Lake Lure Boat Tours.
People’s Choice – Selected by our Facebook fans, the winning photo will be featured as the cover photo of our Facebook page for two weeks and the cover of our Pinterest board of winning photos. Prize includes two Park admission tickets, lunch for two at the Old Rock Café and a $20 gift certificate for Old Time Photo in Chimney Rock Village.
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken inside Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between September 23 – December 20, 2019.
The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page and share our photo contest post on your wall. Then post your photo to our wall with the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words) through your personal Facebook account. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule #3.
- Pinterest: First, re-pin our photo contest pin to one of your boards and follow our 2017 The Different Seasons of Chimney Rock Spring Photo Contest Board so we can easily contact you. Then pin your photo with the hashtags #chimneyrock AND #photocontest with your personal account, and include the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words).
- Twitter: First, follow Chimney Rock Park and retweet our tweet about the photo contest. Then tweet your photo to @ChimneyRockPark with the photographer’s name and the hashtag #photocontest. Next, send us private messages with your brief photo caption.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to any social media sites listed above, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Snail Mail: Send your print photo with the clearly marked photographer’s name, city & state, a brief typed photo caption and a phone number to: Photo Contest, Chimney Rock Management LLC, PO Box 39, Chimney Rock, NC 28720.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption your photo of the Seasons of Chimney Rock, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of a face of Chimney Rock. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
Saturday, November 2
This naturalist-led hike explores the top of Chimney Rock Mountain where you’ll discover a much different world than in the main portion of the Park. Learn about the fascinating history of this area and more about the wildlife that can be found utilizing this unique habitat.
This hike is considered moderate-to-strenuous.
Advance registration required.
Saturday, November 2
The best camera is the camera you have with you, so why not learn how to use your iPhone camera better? Join Lynne Buchanan for this half-day class focused on creating wonderful images using your apple device. You’ll take away some great set of new skills and wonderful shots of fall color.
Lynne Buchanan is an accomplished photographer who specializes in landscapes and water photos. She has taken photos throughout the United states and in Iceland, the Falklands, Bangladesh and Patagonia. Her award-winning photography has been exhibited in solo and group exhibits in museums and galleries.
Space is limited. Advance Registration is required.
Saturday, November 9 - Monday, November 11
Veterans, reservists, retired and active military personnel are our American heroes, and Chimney Rock would like to honor your service with a free visit to Chimney Rock State Park during November 9-11, 2019. Must present military ID or proof of service.
Saturday, November 16
Imagine spending your day with one of Mother Nature’s most majestic and funny creatures—the llama. From 11 am – 3 pm, Annual Passholders can join one of two guided hikes with these majestic creatures along the Hickory Nut Falls trail. Space is limited, so reserve your spot today.
11-12:30pm- First Hike to Hickory Nut Falls
1-2:30pm- Second Hike to Hickory Nut Falls
Friday, November 29 - Sunday, December 1
We are lucky to have incredible Animal Educators to help us spread the word on the important roles they play in the Park. Join one of our Park naturalists for an informal program where your family will love meeting some of our wilder teammates! Kids of all ages are sure to take home some fun facts and special memories. Then, grab a Track Trail brochure at the Animal Discovery Den and round out the day with a hike along our Great Woodland Adventure trail with 12 education stations. Don’t forget your camera!