Events Search and Views Navigation
Events List Navigation
Tuesday, January 1 - Wednesday, March 20
Winter can be the most beautiful time of the year at Chimney Rock. Leafless trees make for expansive views of Lake Lure and the Hickory Nut Gorge. The sky is clear; you’re likely to find a quiet spot to sit and enjoy the peacefulness. You may even see a critter scamper by you in the forest. Capture that special moment or scene on your camera, enter it in our Winter Wonders Photo Contest and tell us about it. We’ll use the winning entries on our website and Facebook album, and you’ll win some fun prizes. Photos must be taken within the Chimney Rock section of the Park.
Cost: No additional cost to enter.
The first-place winner will receive an overnight getaway to Hickory Nut Gorge with a stay at the Historic 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, two passes to the Park, brunch for two at the Historic 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa and two tickets for a tour with Lake Lure Boat Tours.
Chimney Rock’s Facebook followers will select the People’s Choice Award winner. Followers will have a week to like and share their favorite photo from an album of Winter Photo Contest entries posted on the Park’s Facebook page at facebook.com/chimneyrockparknc. The People’s Choice Award Winner will receive two passes to the Park, lunch for two at Old Rock Cafe and their photo will be featured on the Park’s Facebook page.
Shutterbugs interested in capturing Mother Nature’s wintry beauty can do so by entering Friday through Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. during the Park’s winter hours.
All entries must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Parks’ Facebook page through Facebook messenger.
Wednesday, March 20 - Thursday, June 20
Wildflowers springing from the ground are a sign that spring and warmer weather are right around the corner. Capture photos of your family and friends enjoying the Park and enter them into our Shades of Spring Photo Contest for a chance to win fabulous prizes. We’ll use the winning entries on our website and Facebook album, and you’ll win some fun prizes. Photos must be taken within the Chimney Rock section of the Park.
GREAT PRIZES FOR THE WINNERS:
First Place – An overnight getaway to Hickory Nut Gorge with a stay at the historic 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, two passes to Chimney Rock, brunch for two at the 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, and two tickets for a tour with Lake Lure Boat Tours
Second Place – A Chimney Rock prize package including two passes to Chimney Rock, lunch for two at the Old Rock Café and two tickets for a tour with Lake Lure Boat Tours.
People’s Choice – Selected by our Facebook fans, the winning photo will be featured as the cover photo of our Facebook page for two weeks and the cover of our Pinterest board of winning photos. Prize includes two Park admission tickets, lunch for two at the Old Rock Café and a $20 gift certificate for Old Time Photo in Chimney Rock Village.
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken inside Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between March 20 – June 20, 2019.
The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page and share our photo contest post on your wall. Then post your photo to our wall with the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words) through your personal Facebook account. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule #3.
- Pinterest: First, re-pin our photo contest pin to one of your boards and follow our 2017 The Different Seasons of Chimney Rock Spring Photo Contest Board so we can easily contact you. Then pin your photo with the hashtags #chimneyrock AND #photocontest with your personal account, and include the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words).
- Twitter: First, follow Chimney Rock Park and retweet our tweet about the photo contest. Then tweet your photo to @ChimneyRockPark with the photographer’s name and the hashtag #photocontest. Next, send us private messages with your brief photo caption.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to any social media sites listed above, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to email@example.com.
- Snail Mail: Send your print photo with the clearly marked photographer’s name, city & state, a brief typed photo caption and a phone number to: Photo Contest, Chimney Rock Management LLC, PO Box 39, Chimney Rock, NC 28720.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption your photo of the Seasons of Chimney Rock, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of a face of Chimney Rock. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
Saturday, March 30
Put down your smart phone and join us for National Take A Walk in a Park Day. Our Naturalist will lead several guided hikes throughout the day, we’ll have Kids in Parks onsite sharing information about their Track Trail Program and Frugal Backpacker sharing tips about packing the perfect hiking bag and choosing the right hiking gear for your adventure.
A portion of Park admission on this day will go to the Kids in Parks program.
11 am. – Event kicks off with family hike along Hickory Nut Falls trail
11am-2pm- Kids in Parks hosts informational session about Track Trail Program
11am-2pm- Frugal Backpacker “How to Pack a Day Pack” and “Hiking Pole Basics” demonstrations
1-2 pm- Hike with a Doctor from Rutherford Regional Health along the Great Woodland Adventure trail