Events Search and Views Navigation
Events List Navigation
Saturday, September 22 - Friday, November 30
Nothing works up an appetite quite like a long hike. Capture photos of your family enjoying a picnic or grilling up a storm at one of the Park’s picnic areas, or eating lunch at the Park’s restaurant Old Rock Café, and enter them into our fall photo contest. We’ll use the winning entries on our website and Facebook album, and you’ll win some fun prizes. Photos must be taken within the Chimney Rock section of the Park or at Old Rock Cafe.
GREAT PRIZES FOR THE WINNERS:
First Place – An overnight getaway to Hickory Nut Gorge with a stay at the historic 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, two passes to Chimney Rock, brunch for two at the 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, and two tickets for a tour with Lake Lure Boat Tours
Second Place – A Chimney Rock prize package including two passes to Chimney Rock, lunch for two at the Old Rock Café and two tickets for a tour with Lake Lure Boat Tours.
People’s Choice – Selected by our Facebook fans, the winning photo will be featured as the cover photo of our Facebook page for two weeks and the cover of our Pinterest board of winning photos. Prize includes two Park admission tickets, lunch for two at the Old Rock Café and a $20 gift certificate for Old Time Photo in Chimney Rock Village.
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken inside Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between Sept. 22, 2018- Nov. 30, 2018. The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page and share our photo contest post on your wall. Then post your photo to our wall with the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words) through your personal Facebook account. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule #3.
- Pinterest: First, re-pin our photo contest pin to one of your boards and follow our 2017 The Different Seasons of Chimney Rock Spring Photo Contest Board so we can easily contact you. Then pin your photo with the hashtags #chimneyrock AND #photocontest with your personal account, and include the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words).
- Twitter: First, follow Chimney Rock Park and retweet our tweet about the photo contest. Then tweet your photo to @ChimneyRockPark with the photographer’s name and the hashtag #photocontest. Next, send us private messages with your brief photo caption.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to any social media sites listed above, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to email@example.com.
- Snail Mail: Send your print photo with the clearly marked photographer’s name, city & state, a brief typed photo caption and a phone number to: Photo Contest, Chimney Rock Management LLC, PO Box 39, Chimney Rock, NC 28720.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption your photo of the Seasons of Chimney Rock, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of a face of Chimney Rock. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
Sunday, September 23
Join us to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of one of Western North Carolina’s most popular Annual events, Flock to the Rock. Originally created to help folks understand why Hickory Nut Gorge is such a premier birding location, this event has grown in size and popularity every year. You don’t have to be an avid birder to find something of interest at this event, but it may just be the reason you become one. Guided bird walks, raptor flight shows, live bird demos and workshops are a few of the ways you’ll discover that Chimney Rock isn’t just for the birds!
• Education Stations begin (until 3pm)
• Hawk Watch on the Chimney (until 12pm)
• Wings to S.O.A.R flight show at the Indoor Classroom
• Hawk & Owl demonstration on the deck (Until 12pm)
• Wings to S.O.A.R flight show at the Indoor Classroom(Until 1pm)
• Family Bird Walk on Hickory Nut Falls Trail (Until 1pm)
• Hawk and Owl demonstration on the deck (Until 1:30pm)
• Wings to S.O.A.R flight show at the Indoor Classroom(Until 2:30pm)
• Meet and Greet with Osceola the Eagle on the deck
Monday, September 24 - Sunday, September 30
Take a Child Outside Week is a national movement started in North Carolina that features special ranger-led programs at NC State Parks. Fun hikes and/or nature education programs introduce children and families to the outdoors and healthy activities. All activities offered daily and open to the public.
Saturday, September 29 - Sunday, September 30
Description: Never been camping? Afraid of the dark? You’re not alone. Join a park ranger and take this rare opportunity to camp in Chimney Rock State Park. A ranger will be available at 5:30 pm to help set up camp and build a campfire for a fun filled night under the stars!
You must bring your own camping gear and dinner. No camping gear or food is provided for this event.
Advance registration is required. Please call 828-625-9611 to register.