Events List Navigation
Friday, December 1 - Sunday, December 31
Every season, each and every day, offers something new at Chimney Rock. It could be the expression of awe and delight on your child’s face when they see Santa rappelling down the Chimney or the boulders strewn throughout the Park that you’ve never noticed before, but all of a sudden you realize there are lots of reasons to keep your camera handy. Capture that special moment or scene on your camera, enter it in our seasonal photo contest and tell us about it. We’ll use the winning entries on our website and Facebook album, and you’ll win some fun prizes. Photos must be taken within the Chimney Rock section of the Park.
GREAT PRIZES FOR THE WINNERS:
First Prize – An overnight getaway to Hickory Nut Gorge with a stay at the historic 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, two passes to Chimney Rock, brunch for two at the 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, and two tickets for a tour with Lake Lure Boat Tours
Second Place – A Chimney Rock prize package including two passes to Chimney Rock, lunch for two at the Old Rock Café and two tickets for a tour with Lake Lure Boat Tours.
People’s Choice – Selected by our Facebook fans, the winning photo will be featured as the cover photo of our Facebook page for two weeks and the cover of our Pinterest board of winning photos. Prize includes two Park admission tickets, lunch for two at the Old Rock Café and a $20 gift certificate for Old Time Photo in Chimney Rock Village.
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken inside Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between December 1 to Feb. 30 2018. The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page and share our photo contest post on your wall. Then post your photo to our wall with the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words) through your personal Facebook account. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule #3.
- Pinterest: First, re-pin our photo contest pin to one of your boards and follow our 2017 The Different Seasons of Chimney Rock Spring Photo Contest Board so we can easily contact you. Then pin your photo with the hashtags #chimneyrock AND #photocontest with your personal account, and include the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words).
- Twitter: First, follow Chimney Rock Park and retweet our tweet about the photo contest. Then tweet your photo to @ChimneyRockPark with the photographer’s name and the hashtag #photocontest. Next, send us private messages with your brief photo caption.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to any social media sites listed above, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to email@example.com.
- Snail Mail: Send your print photo with the clearly marked photographer’s name, city & state, a brief typed photo caption and a phone number to: Photo Contest, Chimney Rock Management LLC, PO Box 39, Chimney Rock, NC 28720.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption your photo of the Seasons of Chimney Rock, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of a face of Chimney Rock. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
Saturday, December 16
Although it may seem like Mother Nature is resting during the winter, there’s quite a bit of work being done behind the scenes. This moderate winter hike will take participants through a winter forest to discuss the practices of local wildlife and plants. Some basic winter tree identification as well as searching for tracks and traces will be a fun part of this family-friendly hike. Space is limited to 15, and advance registration is required, so register online today.
Questions or concerns? Call (828) 625-9611 for answers and assistance.
*Winter Woodlands is part of our Naturalist Niche series. Join an expert naturalist on park trails once a month March – December to learn about birding, old growth trees, ancient geology and other fascinating outdoor topics.
Tuesday, December 26 - Sunday, December 31
Winter is the perfect time for exploring the Park. Leafless trees make for more places enjoy the views and picture taking. Chimney Rock celebrates this winter break by offering our popular Family Animal Encounters for this one week, too. Join us daily at 2pm to hear what our Animal Educators would be doing if they were still living on the wilder side during these chillier months ahead.