Events List Navigation
Thursday, June 1 - Friday, June 30
Every season, each and every day, offers something new at Chimney Rock. Whether it’s the expression of awe on your child’s face, dappled light on the trees, a salamander running into a crevice, or the flag blowing in the breeze, it strikes a chord with you.
Capture that special moment or scene on your camera, enter it in our seasonal photo contest and tell us about it. We’ll use the winning entries on our website and Facebook album, and you’ll win some fun prizes. Photos must be taken within the Chimney Rock section of the Park.
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken inside Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between June 1 to August 31, 2017. The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page and share our photo contest post on your wall. Then post your photo to our wall with the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words) through your personal Facebook account. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule.
- Pinterest: First, re-pin our photo contest pin to one of your boards and follow our 2017 The Different Seasons of Chimney Rock Spring Photo Contest Board so we can easily contact you. Then pin your photo with the hashtags #chimneyrock AND #photocontest with your personal account, and include the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words)
- Twitter: First, follow Chimney Rock Park and retweet our tweet about the photo contest. Then tweet your photo to @ChimneyRockPark with the photographer’s name and the hashtag #photocontest. Next, send us private messages with your brief photo caption.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to any social media sites listed above, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Snail Mail: Send your print photo with the clearly marked photographer’s name, city & state, a brief typed photo caption and a phone number to: Photo Contest, Chimney Rock Management LLC, PO Box 39, Chimney Rock, NC 28720.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption your photo of the Seasons of Chimney Rock, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of a face of Chimney Rock. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
Winners will be notified and announced in September at chimneyrockpark.com and on Chimney Rock’s social media channels.
Prizes for the Summer Photo Contest
First Prize – An overnight getaway to Hickory Nut Gorge with a stay at the historic 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, two passes to Chimney Rock, brunch for two at the 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, and two tickets for a tour with Lake Lure Boat Tours.
People’s Choice – Selected by our Facebook fans, the winning photo will be featured as the cover photo of our Facebook page for two weeks and the cover of our Pinterest board of winning photos. Prize includes two Park admission tickets, lunch for two at the Old Rock Café and a $20 gift certificate for Old Time Photo in Chimney Rock Village.
For more information, call 1-800-277-9611 or email us at email@example.com
Thursday, June 1 - Friday, June 30
Chimney Rock is home to incredible wildlife, and we are lucky to have Animal Educators to help us spread the word on the important roles they play in the Park. Join one of our Park naturalists for an informal program where your family will love meeting some of our wilder teammates! Kids of all ages are sure to take home some fun facts and special memories. Then, grab a Track Trail brochure at the Animal Discovery Den and round out the day with a hike along our Great Woodland Adventure trail with 12 education stations. Don’t forget your camera!
Saturday, June 3
The American Hiking Society created this special day as a way for people to create a connection to trails. Chimney Rock will celebrate this special occasion by offering a guided hike to Hickory Nut Falls at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. as well as an additional hike to the Chimney at 1 p.m. No registration is needed for these hikes. All individuals interested in joining a guided hike should meet in front of Cliff Dwellers Gifts before the start of the hike they want to attend.
Saturday, June 10
Celebrate the 10th annual National Get Outdoors Day by bringing your family to explore one of Western North Carolina’s most iconic places. Join Park Naturalist and other area partners to learn more about how to experience the great outdoors from many different angles. Guided hikes will be offered at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. to Hickory Nut Falls. At 1 p.m. a special family guided hike will take place on the Great Woodland Adventure trail. At 2 p.m. an Animal Encounter Program will be held at the Animal Discovery Den. The Park’s climbing tower will be open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. that day for park guests to enjoy.
Saturday, June 10
After the sun goes down much of the Park’s residents begin their nightly routines although we aren’t around to see them busy at work. Join our Naturalist to explore the Park as dusk turns to dark and see what you might find. This hike will begin at dusk and conclude after dark giving participants the chance to see Chimney Rock in a different light. Don’t forget your headlamp for this rare opportunity. Space is limited to 15, and advance registration is required, so call 800-277-9611 today to reserve your spot!
*Dusk to Dark is part of our Naturalist Niche series. Join an expert naturalist on park trails once a month March – December to learn about birding, old growth trees, ancient geology and other fascinating outdoor topics.
Saturday, June 17 - Sunday, June 18
Give dad something he’ll remember for a long time: a getaway to Chimney Rock for incredible views and scenic hiking with the family. We’ll even make it easy for you–buy one regular-price adult admission and dad’s or granddad’s admission is free with our online coupon. Download the coupon below and present it (in print or on your mobile device) at the Ticket Plaza at time of purchase. Valid June 17-18, 2017 only.