Events Search and Views Navigation
Events List Navigation
Wednesday, January 1 - Saturday, February 29
Winter can be the most beautiful time of the year at Chimney Rock. Leafless trees make for expansive views of Lake Lure and the Hickory Nut Gorge. If the sky is clear, you’re likely to find a quiet spot to sit and enjoy the peacefulness and love of nature. The theme for this season’s photo contest is “Love at First Sight”. Capture that special moment or scene on your camera that fits this theme and enter it in our Winter “Love at First Sight” Photo Contest. We’ll use the winning entries on our website and Facebook album, and you’ll win some fun prizes. Photos must be taken within the Chimney Rock section of the Park.
GREAT PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED TO 3 WINNING ENTRIES
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken inside Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between January 1, 2020 – February 29, 2020.
The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page and share our photo contest post on your wall. Then post your photo to our wall with the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words) through your personal Facebook account. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule #3.
- Pinterest: First, re-pin our photo contest pin to one of your boards and follow our 2017 The Different Seasons of Chimney Rock Spring Photo Contest Board so we can easily contact you. Then pin your photo with the hashtags #chimneyrock AND #photocontest with your personal account, and include the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words).
- Twitter: First, follow Chimney Rock Park and retweet our tweet about the photo contest. Then tweet your photo to @ChimneyRockPark with the photographer’s name and the hashtag #photocontest. Next, send us private messages with your brief photo caption.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to any social media sites listed above, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Snail Mail: Send your print photo with the clearly marked photographer’s name, city & state, a brief typed photo caption and a phone number to: Photo Contest, Chimney Rock Management LLC, PO Box 39, Chimney Rock, NC 28720.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption your photo of the Seasons of Chimney Rock, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of love at Chimney Rock. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
Winners will be notified and announced on Chimney Rock’s social media channels. For more information, call 1-800-277-9611 or email us at email@example.com.
Sunday, February 2
For the past 15 years, Groundhog Day has been an annual tradition at Chimney Rock. On February 2 at 1pm, our furry little meteorologist, Greta, the Groundhog, will be making her yearly spring prediction as well as her Superbowl pick. This fun, family-friendly event also features a guided hike along the Great Woodland Adventure trail and animal encounters with other animal ambassadors. All festivities are included with Park admission. Mark your calendars as you will not want to miss this!
1pm– Guest arrive at the Park.
-Guest can visit the craft area in the Indoor Classroom
1:30pm-Program begins in lower Meadows area.
-Welcome message from Chimney Rock Mayor, Peter O’Leary, followed by Greta seeking her shadow.
2pm -Families are encouraged to stop by the Indoor Classroom to do a Groundhog Day craft or head over the Animal Discovery Den to meet some of Greta’s other animal ambassador friends.
3pm– Join a naturalist for a family-friendly stroll around the Great Woodland Adventure Trail to learn more about what types of wildlife calls Chimney Rock State Park home.
Thursday, February 13
Looking for something fun and unique to do with your sweetheart for Valentine’s Day?
Join Old Rock Café’s Chef Randall Spencer for this cooking class focused on some of his favorite, romantic recipes. Learn how to make handmade pasta, charred brussel sprout crostini, red wine risotto and much more! Come hungry, because you’ll get more than just a sample of each dish in this class. One beverage is also included in this experience. All participants must pre-register for this class. Please book your ticket here.
Friday, February 14 - Sunday, February 16
Looking for a unique, romantic place to spend the day with your sweetheart? The fantastic views at Chimney Rock offer the perfect setting! For Valentine’s Day Weekend, receive one free adult admission, when you purchase one adult admission ticket.
This offer is only available for online ticket purchases and is only valid February 14-16, 2020. We will be posting these tickets on our website starting Thursday, February 13th. Stay tuned.
In February the Park is open weather permitting. Be sure to check our website for weather alerts before you visit.