Events Search and Views Navigation
Events List Navigation
Friday, June 21 - Sunday, September 22
Summer is all about outdoor fun, spending quality time together as a family and taking in the wonderful sights of nature. Submit your photos of your family hiking, sunlight making its way through the trees or of the fantastic views that make Chimney Rock so special. We’ll use the winning entries on our website and Facebook album, and you’ll win some fun prizes. Photos must be taken within the Chimney Rock section of the Park.
GREAT PRIZES FOR THE WINNERS:
First Place – An overnight getaway to Hickory Nut Gorge with a stay at the historic 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, two passes to Chimney Rock, brunch for two at the 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, and two tickets for a tour with Lake Lure Boat Tours
Second Place – A Chimney Rock prize package including two passes to Chimney Rock, lunch for two at the Old Rock Café and two tickets for a tour with Lake Lure Boat Tours.
People’s Choice – Selected by our Facebook fans, the winning photo will be featured as the cover photo of our Facebook page for two weeks and the cover of our Pinterest board of winning photos. Prize includes two Park admission tickets, lunch for two at the Old Rock Café and a $20 gift certificate for Old Time Photo in Chimney Rock Village.
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken inside Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between June 21 – September 22, 2019.
The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page and share our photo contest post on your wall. Then post your photo to our wall with the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words) through your personal Facebook account. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule #3.
- Pinterest: First, re-pin our photo contest pin to one of your boards and follow our 2017 The Different Seasons of Chimney Rock Spring Photo Contest Board so we can easily contact you. Then pin your photo with the hashtags #chimneyrock AND #photocontest with your personal account, and include the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words).
- Twitter: First, follow Chimney Rock Park and retweet our tweet about the photo contest. Then tweet your photo to @ChimneyRockPark with the photographer’s name and the hashtag #photocontest. Next, send us private messages with your brief photo caption.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to any social media sites listed above, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to email@example.com.
- Snail Mail: Send your print photo with the clearly marked photographer’s name, city & state, a brief typed photo caption and a phone number to: Photo Contest, Chimney Rock Management LLC, PO Box 39, Chimney Rock, NC 28720.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption your photo of the Seasons of Chimney Rock, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of a face of Chimney Rock. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
Thursday, August 1 - Saturday, August 31
We are lucky to have incredible Animal Educators to help us spread the word on the important roles they play in the Park. Join one of our Park naturalists for an informal program where your family will love meeting some of our wilder teammates! Kids of all ages are sure to take home some fun facts and special memories. Then, grab a Track Trail brochure at the Animal Discovery Den and round out the day with a hike along our Great Woodland Adventure trail with 12 education stations. Don’t forget your camera!
Thursday, August 8
Gear up for Labor Day Weekend with a class focused on all things grilled. Join Old Rock Café’s Chef Randall Spencer for this two-hour class focused on how to create mouthwatering brisket, ribs and chicken for your cookout guests to enjoy. You’ll also learn how to make your own barbeque sauce and prepare baked beans and other cookout sides for the perfect Labor Day cookout. Come hungry, because you’ll get more than just a sample of each dish and a glass of soda or craft beer or wine as part of this class. Call 828-625-9611 to register.
Advance registration required. Limited to 20 people.
Sunday, August 11
The grand finale of the 15th Annual Lake Lure Olympiad – a 3-day family sports festival that showcases the beautiful scenery of Lake Lure and Chimney Rock, the Race to the Rock is a challenging 5k run or 25-mile bike race that climbs 900 feet in the last 3 miles (a 7-9% grade) to finish at the base of Chimney Rock. The rewarding 75-mile views from the finish line overlooking Lake Lure are enough to take your breath away… or what’s left of it! This is the ONLY TIME you can ever run or bike up to Chimney Rock.
Save up to $10 on early registration at lakelureolympiad.com.
Thursday, August 22
Enjoy views of the Rocky Broad River and local acoustic music from Chicken Coup Willaye while relishing the taste of specially-crafted buffet items inspired by the region.
Saturday, August 31 - Monday, September 2
Enjoy the last holiday weekend of summer experiencing what makes Chimney Rock the ideal place to play. Hike on one of the Park’s many trails or join Fox Mountain Guides for a real rock climbing experience.