Events List Navigation
Monday, May 1 - Wednesday, May 31
Every season, each and every day, offers something new at Chimney Rock. Warm weather energizes us and encourages us to get outside and moving. The forest bursts into color and birds begin to reappear. Ah, so invigorating. Look around you; notice the many signs of spring – smiling faces, fresh green leaves, flowers in bloom. Capture that special moment or scene on your camera, enter it in our seasonal photo contest and tell us about it. We’ll use the winning entries on our website and Facebook album, and you’ll win some fun prizes. Photos must be taken within the Chimney Rock section of the Park.
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken inside Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between March 1 to May 31, 2017. The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page and share our photo contest post on your wall. Then post your photo to our wall with the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words) through your personal Facebook account. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule #3.
- Pinterest: First, re-pin our photo contest pin to one of your boards and follow our 2017 The Different Seasons of Chimney Rock Spring Photo Contest Board so we can easily contact you. Then pin your photo with the hashtags #chimneyrock AND #photocontest with your personal account, and include the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words).
- Twitter: First, follow Chimney Rock Park and retweet our tweet about the photo contest. Then tweet your photo to @ChimneyRockPark with the photographer’s name and the hashtag #photocontest. Next, send us private messages with your brief photo caption.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to any social media sites listed above, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to email@example.com.
- Snail Mail: Send your print photo with the clearly marked photographer’s name, city & state, a brief typed photo caption and a phone number to: Photo Contest, Chimney Rock Management LLC, PO Box 39, Chimney Rock, NC 28720.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption your photo of the Seasons of Chimney Rock, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of a face of Chimney Rock. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
Winners will be notified and announced in June at chimneyrockpark.com and on Chimney Rock’s social media channels.
Below are some suggested dates for unique photography opportunities (events may require advance registration and fees):
- May 13- Spring Wildflowers Guided Hike (requires registration)
- May 13-14- Mother’s Day at Chimney Rock
- May 27-29- Memorial Day Weekend Family Fun
Prizes for the Spring Photo Contest
First Prize – An overnight getaway to Hickory Nut Gorge with a stay at the historic 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, two passes to Chimney Rock, brunch for two at the 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, and two tickets for a tour with Lake Lure Boat Tours.
People’s Choice – Selected by our Facebook fans, the winning photo will be featured as the cover photo of our Facebook page for two weeks and the cover of our Pinterest board of winning photos. Prize includes two Park admission tickets, lunch for two at the Old Rock Café and a $20 gift certificate for Old Time Photo in Chimney Rock Village.
For more information, call 1-800-277-9611 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday, May 6 - Sunday, May 7
Scouts have been exploring and investigating Chimney Rock for decades. Our annual Spring Boy Scout Day is one of the best ways to see all that the Park has to offer. Enjoy morning programs, optional afternoon activities and the rare opportunity to spend the night beneath the stars with other scouts. Visit our website for detailed program information. Call 828.625.9611 to register. Registration closes April 28 and is limited to 200 scouts.
Saturday, May 13 - Sunday, May 14
Moms work hard for us all year long. Return the love by treating your mom to a beautiful day at Chimney Rock to enjoy spring wildflowers and stunning views. Valid May 13-14, 2017. Make plans to stay after your visit to the Park and enjoy dinner and the Symphony of Rutherford County at the Gathering Place in Chimney Rock Village Saturday evening beginning at 6pm. This special concert is the grand finale of the community’s annual SpringGo event.
Saturday, May 13
All spots for this hike have been booked. Please look at our upcoming Naturalist Niche hikes in June and July.
Hickory Nut Gorge is known for its beautiful wildflower display each spring and fall. Join Ron Lance on this special hike into areas of the Park that feature the most species in bloom and discuss what makes this area an exceptional place for them to grow. Bring your mom to have a Mother’s Day treat she won’t forget. Space is limited to 15, and advance registration is required, so call 800-277-9611 today to reserve your spot.
*Spring Wildflowers is part of our Naturalist Niche series. Join an expert naturalist on Park trails once a month March – December to learn about birding, old growth trees, ancient geology and other fascinating outdoor topics.
Saturday, May 20 - Sunday, May 21
Chimney Rock is the perfect place for troops of any age, and our annual Spring Girl Scout Day is the most popular example of why. Your scouts will love the hands-on morning programs, adventurous afternoon activities and the incredible opportunity to camp overnight in the Park. Call 828.625.9611 to register. Registration closes May 12 and is limited to 200 scouts. For more information about this event, check out our Spring Girl Scout Day page.
Sunday, May 21
Time flies when you’re having fun. That’s why it’s hard to believe that on Sunday, May 21, Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park will celebrate its 10th year as a state park.
Instead of accepting gifts of tin and aluminum– the traditional gifts given in honor of someone’s 10th anniversary– the park will accept donations for Hickory Nut Gorge Outreach’s Food Pantry at the Ticket Plaza.
Those that donate a canned or nonperishable item to the food pantry on May 21 can receive an adult admission ticket for just $10.
Items needed by Hickory Nut Gorge Outreach Food Pantry include canned tuna and chicken, peanut butter, macaroni and cheese, and Chunky soup.
Park partygoers can take part in several special events scheduled in honor of the Park’s big day. At 10 a.m., a State Park Ranger will lead a guided hike to Hickory Nut Falls. The hike will begin at the Hickory Nut Falls Trailhead and last approximately an hour and a half.
Those that arrive a little later in the day can enjoy Chimney Rock’s scenic views alongside melodic mountain music from dulcimer player John Mason. Mason will play tunes from his new CD “Here Comes the Sun” from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Since no party is complete without cake, guests can enjoy something sweet and light refreshments in front of Cliff Dwellers Gifts at noon on May 21. During that time, they can view a variety of historical panels about the Park, talk to Park Rangers and staff and celebrate the Park’s growth over the last decade.
Saturday, May 27 - Monday, May 29
Memorial Day is often thought of as the kickoff to summer fun, and Chimney Rock has all the activities to make that happen. Saturday through Monday your family can test their skills on our 32-foot climbing tower, enjoy our daily Family Animal Encounter and spend time exploring one of the Park’s many trails.
*Please note that the flag on top of Chimney Rock will be lowered to half-mast until 12pm as is tradition on Memorial Day.