Events List Navigation
Saturday, April 1 - Sunday, April 30
Every season, each and every day, offers something new at Chimney Rock. Warm weather energizes us and encourages us to get outside and moving. The forest bursts into color and birds begin to reappear. Ah, so invigorating. Look around you; notice the many signs of spring – smiling faces, fresh green leaves, flowers in bloom. Capture that special moment or scene on your camera, enter it in our seasonal photo contest and tell us about it. We’ll use the winning entries on our website and Facebook album, and you’ll win some fun prizes. Photos must be taken within the Chimney Rock section of the Park.
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken inside Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between March 1 to May 31, 2017. The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page and share our photo contest post on your wall. Then post your photo to our wall with the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words) through your personal Facebook account. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule.
- Pinterest: First, re-pin our photo contest pin to one of your boards and follow our 2017 The Different Seasons of Chimney Rock Spring Photo Contest Board so we can easily contact you. Then pin your photo with the hashtags #chimneyrock AND #photocontest with your personal account, and include the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words)
- Twitter: First, follow Chimney Rock Park and retweet our tweet about the photo contest. Then tweet your photo to @ChimneyRockPark with the photographer’s name and the hashtag #photocontest. Next, send us private messages with your brief photo caption.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to any social media sites listed above, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Snail Mail: Send your print photo with the clearly marked photographer’s name, city & state, a brief typed photo caption and a phone number to: Photo Contest, Chimney Rock Management LLC, PO Box 39, Chimney Rock, NC 28720.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption your photo of the Seasons of Chimney Rock, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of a face of Chimney Rock. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
Winners will be notified and announced in June at chimneyrockpark.com and on Chimney Rock’s social media channels.
Below are some suggested dates for unique photography opportunities (events may require advance registration and fees):
- April 1- April 30 Spring Break Family Fun
- April 15 – Spring Early Bird Guided Walk (requires registration)
- April 16- 62nd Annual Easter Sunrise Service
- April 22- Earth Day
- May 13- Spring Wildflowers Guided Hike (requires registration)
- May 13-14- Mother’s Day at Chimney Rock
- May 27-29- Memorial Day Weekend Family Fun
Prizes for the Spring Photo Contest
First Prize – An overnight getaway to Hickory Nut Gorge with a stay at the historic 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, two passes to Chimney Rock, brunch for two at the 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, and two tickets for a tour with Lake Lure Boat Tours.
People’s Choice – Selected by our Facebook fans, the winning photo will be featured as the cover photo of our Facebook page for two weeks and the cover of our Pinterest board of winning photos. Prize includes two Park admission tickets, lunch for two at the Old Rock Café and a $20 gift certificate for Old Time Photo in Chimney Rock Village.
For more information, call 1-800-277-9611 or email us at email@example.com
Saturday, April 1
Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park invites Annual Passholders on an adventure they won’t forget.
On Saturday, April 1—notoriously known as April Fool’s Day—the Park will host Walk with a Llama.
From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. that day, passholders will be able to walk with and lead llamas in the Park.
After a nice jaunt with the furry giants, guests can then enjoy a picnic lunch from the Old Rock Café.
Cost for this event is $10 for passholders. To RSVP, call 828-625-9611. RSVPS to attend must be received by Friday, March 24, at 5 p.m.
Not an annual passholder? Don’t worry! Call 828-625-9611 to become an annual passholder today. Once you’ve signed up for an annual pass, RSVP to Walk with a Llama. It’s that simple. An Annual Pass is $28 per adult and $12 per child. Cost to attend the Walk with a Llama event is and additional $10.
Saturday, April 1 - Sunday, April 30
Chimney Rock is home to incredible wildlife, and we are lucky to have Animal Educators to help us spread the word on the important roles they play in the Park. Join one of our Park Naturalists for an informal program where your family will love meeting some of our wilder teammates! Kids of all ages are sure to take home some fun facts and special memories. Then, grab a Track Trail brochure at Grady’s Animal Discovery Den and round out the day with a hike along our Great Woodland Adventure trail with 12 education stations. Don’t forget your camera!
Wednesday, April 12
Our annual Spring Homeschool Day is a great way to kick off the warmer season with a day full of learning. Programs are designed to meet the curriculum needs and interests of your students. Optional afternoon activities available. Registration required; call (828) 625-9611.
Saturday, April 15
Birding is one of the fastest growing hobbies in the United States and Chimney Rock is a premier site to see and hear our feathered friends. Grab your binoculars and meet a local naturalist for this early bird walk that starts before the Park opens to other guests. You’ll be amazed at the species you can check off your list. Space is limited to 15, and advance registration is required, so call 800-277-9611 today to reserve your spot!
*Spring Birding is part of our Naturalist Niche series. Join an expert naturalist on Park trails once a month March – December to learn about birding, old growth trees, ancient geology and other fascinating outdoor topics.
Sunday, April 16
Celebrate the glory of Easter with song, scripture and spiritual music as a spectacular sunrise ascends over Lake Lure. Chimney Rock’s nondenominational Annual Easter Sunrise Service has become a legendary event in WNC, attracting more than 1,000 early risers from around the Southeast.
*Please Note: Due to the large number of guests who attend the service, no one can be admitted through the gate after 6am.
Saturday, April 22
Join Chimney Rock State Park rangers, biologists and other environmental educators to learn about the incredible work being done to protect our beautiful landscape. Education stations will be located in Chimney Rock Village behind the Old Rock Café along the Rocky Broad Riverwalk. Kids will have the chance to earn a Grady’s Kids Club Annual Pass to Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park. Fun for the whole family!