Events List Navigation
Sunday, January 1 - Tuesday, February 28
Every season, each and every day, offers something new at Chimney Rock. When the leaves are off the trees, the lay of the land is more apparent; rocks and boulders, crevices and views appear that are hidden from the foliage the rest of the year. The sky is clear; you find a special spot to sit and enjoy the peacefulness. You may even see a critter scampering through the forest. Capture that special moment or scene on your camera, enter it in our seasonal photo contest and tell us about it. We’ll use the winning entries on our website and Facebook album, and you’ll win some fun prizes. Photos must be taken within the Chimney Rock section of the Park.
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken inside Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between March 1 to May 31, 2017. The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page and share our photo contest post on your wall. Then post your photo to our wall with the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words) through your personal Facebook account. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule.
- Pinterest: First, re-pin our photo contest pin to one of your boards and follow our 2017 The Different Seasons of Chimney Rock Spring Photo Contest Board so we can easily contact you. Then pin your photo with the hashtags #chimneyrock AND #photocontest with your personal account, and include the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words)
- Twitter: First, follow Chimney Rock Park and retweet our tweet about the photo contest. Then tweet your photo to @ChimneyRockPark with the photographer’s name and the hashtag #photocontest. Next, send us private messages with your brief photo caption.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to any social media sites listed above, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to email@example.com.
- Snail Mail: Send your print photo with the clearly marked photographer’s name, city & state, a brief typed photo caption and a phone number to: Photo Contest, Chimney Rock Management LLC, PO Box 39, Chimney Rock, NC 28720.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption your photo of the Seasons of Chimney Rock, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of a face of Chimney Rock. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
Winners will be notified and announced in June at chimneyrockpark.com and on Chimney Rock’s social media channels.
Below are some suggested dates for unique photography opportunities (events may require advance registration and fees):
- April 1- April 30 Spring Break Family Fun
- April 15 – Spring Early Bird Guided Walk (requires registration)
- April 16- 62nd Annual Easter Sunrise Service
- April 22- Earth Day
- May 13- Spring Wildflowers Guided Hike (requires registration)
- May 13-14- Mother’s Day at Chimney Rock
- May 27-29- Memorial Day Weekend Family FUn
For more information, call 1-800-277-9611 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday, February 2
Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park may be closed on Thursday’s during the winter, but that doesn’t mean our woodchucks aren’t busy preparing for spring. On this special day you and your family are invited to come up to Grady’s Animal Discovery Den to see if our resident woodchuck sees his shadow. The Park will open into our Meadows area free of charge from 10:30 – 12pm for a special Groundhog Day Celebration. Please note the *Park itself will not be open this day. Only the area where the event is being held will be accessible.
Saturday, February 11 - Tuesday, February 14
What better way to show your sweetheart some love than by bringing him or her to see beautiful 75-mile views from the top of Chimney Rock? (We’ve had quite a few proposals on the Rock over the years; just a little hint!) Purchase one adult admission ticket and receive a second adult admission ticket free. Coupon required; present it (in print or on your mobile device) at the Ticket Plaza at time of purchase. Valid February 11-14, 2017. February weather can be fickle. Be sure to check our website for weather alerts before your visit. If we have inclement weather, the Park may be closed.