Events List Navigation
Wednesday, November 1 - Thursday, November 30
Every season, each and every day, offers something new at Chimney Rock. The Park is located in a thermal belt that’s protected by the higher mountains, so it’s warmer early in the spring and later in fall. Depending on the weather, the leaf color display can last well into November. If you’ve missed seeing the riot of color at the higher elevations, you may just be able to catch it here. A nip in the air generally brings clear blue autumn skies for a great backdrop. Capture a special moment or scene on your camera, enter it in our seasonal photo contest and tell us about it. We’ll use the winning entries on our website and Facebook album, and you’ll win some fun prizes. Photos must be taken within the Chimney Rock section of the Park.
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All photographs must be taken inside Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park only in areas accessible to guests between August 1 to November 30, 2017. The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Up to three photos per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible to win:
- Facebook: First, like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page and share our photo contest post on your wall. Then post your photo to our wall with the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words) through your personal Facebook account. Next, send us a private message including your contact information specified in rule.
- Pinterest: First, re-pin our photo contest pin to one of your boards and follow our 2017 The Different Seasons of Chimney Rock Spring Photo Contest Board so we can easily contact you. Then pin your photo with the hashtags #chimneyrock AND #photocontest with your personal account, and include the photographer’s name and a brief caption (25-75 words)
- Twitter: First, follow Chimney Rock Park and retweet our tweet about the photo contest. Then tweet your photo to @ChimneyRockPark with the photographer’s name and the hashtag #photocontest. Next, send us private messages with your brief photo caption.
- E-mail: If you don’t have access to any social media sites listed above, you may email your digital photo with your contact information specified in rule #3 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Snail Mail: Send your print photo with the clearly marked photographer’s name, city & state, a brief typed photo caption and a phone number to: Photo Contest, Chimney Rock Management LLC, PO Box 39, Chimney Rock, NC 28720.
- Every entry should be clearly labeled with the photographer’s name, city & state, a brief photo caption your photo of the Seasons of Chimney Rock, an email address and the best phone number to reach you.
- Photos should be available at a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1600 pixels (1 MB minimum) to be eligible to win. Photos taken via smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are welcome if they meet minimum requirements.
- For entries showing human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission from any photographed person(s) to use their image.
- Entries should reflect the photographer’s interpretation of a face of Chimney Rock. Emphasis will be placed on quality, composition and creativity. All entries may be used in promotions of Chimney Rock and park-related activities.
- Digital images can be optimized but not dramatically altered with photo editing software. Black and white photographs are welcome.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
Winners will be notified and announced in December at chimneyrockpark.com and on Chimney Rock’s social media channels.
First Prize – An overnight getaway to Hickory Nut Gorge with a stay at the historic 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, two passes to Chimney Rock, brunch for two at the 1927 Lake Lure Inn & Spa, and two tickets for a tour with Lake Lure Boat Tours.
People’s Choice – Selected by our Facebook fans, the winning photo will be featured as the cover photo of our Facebook page for two weeks and the cover of our Pinterest board of winning photos. Prize includes two Park admission tickets, lunch for two at the Old Rock Café and a $20 gift certificate for Old Time Photo in Chimney Rock Village.
For more information, call 1-800-277-9611 or email us at email@example.com
Saturday, November 4
Chimney Rock’s scouting events are some of our most popular events of the year. Our Fall Girl Scout Day is designed to let scouts enjoy the last weeks of autumn in one of North Carolina’s most incredible settings. Special programs created just for Girl Scouts will leave your troop with new skills, knowledge and memories they’ll carry with them for a lifetime. Call 828.625.9611 to register. Registration closes October 29 and is limited to 200 scouts.
Sunday, November 5
Late fall is the best time to find vibrant fall foliage in Hickory Nut Gorge. The weather is nice and crisp for hiking to our 404-foot waterfall, and the views from the Park are clear and bright. The scenery you get to work with is unrivaled, but you also get the opportunity to learn from one the region’s best photographers at a price that’s affordable. Led by professional photographer Chuck Hill, this workshop is tailored to individual experience and will benefit novices and advanced photographers alike. Topics include wide-angle, telephoto, macro and intimate landscapes; composition, inspiration, post-processing, critique and photo sharing. For more about Chuck, visit http://chuckhillphotography.com/#. Class is limited to 10, so call 800-277-9611 today to reserve your spot.
Wednesday, November 8 - Sunday, November 12
Veterans, reservists, retired and active military personnel are our American heroes, and Chimney Rock would like to honor your service with a free visit to Chimney Rock State Park during November 8-12, 2017. Must present military ID or proof of service.
Saturday, November 11
Boy Scouts of all ages put their scouting skills to the test each year at Chimney Rock. One way to learn more about the Park and pick-up some great knowledge of the outdoors is at our Fall Boy Scout Day held each November. Morning programs will give your group lots to talk about as they spend the afternoon exploring some of the different facets of the Park. Call 828.625.9611 to register. Registration closes November 3 and is limited to 200 scouts.
Saturday, November 18
The Fall Ridge Hike is often the most popular of the year. This more-strenuous hike leads participants off-the-beaten-path to an area of the Park seldom seen by guests. As you meander up the mountain, you’ll hear about the natural history, geology, flora and fauna that make Chimney Rock so unique. Don’t forget your camera to capture the views. Space is limited to 15, and advance registration is required, so call 800-277-9611 today to reserve your spot.
*The Fall Ridge Hike is part of our Naturalist Niche series. Join an expert naturalist on park trails once a month March – December to learn about birding, old growth trees, ancient geology and other fascinating outdoor topics.
Friday, November 24 - Saturday, November 25
Chimney Rock is home to incredible wildlife, and we are lucky to have Animal Educators to help us spread the word on the important roles they play in the Park. Join one of our Park Naturalists for an informal program where your family will love meeting some of our wilder teammates. Kids of all ages are sure to take home some fun facts and special memories. Then, grab a Track Trail brochure at Grady’s Animal Discovery Den and round out the day with a hike along our Great Woodland Adventure trail with 12 education stations. Don’t forget your camera.