- This event has passed.
The Chimney Rock Challenge
Are you a hiking enthusiast? Do you enjoy a physical challenge? Or, just enjoy exploring nature? Then you need to take the Chimney Rock Hiking Challenge.
Hiking isn’t just the preferred method of transportation here, it’s a way of life. Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park features six different hiking trails that range from moderate to strenuous and offer a plethora of stunning views and a variety of flora and fauna. These trails can take you through enchanted, deciduous forests as you ascend the mountain, to a 404-foot waterfall and to the top of and near unique rock formations. But conquering all these trails isn’t for the faint of heart. There are nearly 6 ½ miles of trails with an increase of 800 feet in elevation. Do you have what it takes to complete the Chimney Rock Challenge?
The rules are pretty simple. Hike at least four of our six trails. Along each trail you hike, take a video of yourself at a distinctive feature while telling us about your experience. Post it on Facebook or Instagram and tag us. Use the hashtag #chimneyrockchallenge, private message us your mailing address, and we will send you your Chimney Rock Challenge Button of Honor.
Complete four trails to earn the Bobcat button. Complete all six and you will be awarded the coveted Black Bear button. If you are unable to complete all the trails in one day, you can complete them in multiple day segments between August 1 – September 30. You may also want to take advantage of our Annual Pass which is less than the price of two admission tickets and allows you to visit the Park as much as you want over a 12-month period.
All video submissions must include segments of you on each trail at a recognizable location (example: on the Outcroppings trail, you could do a video segment at Pulpit Rock). In your video, tell us a little bit about yourself, where you’re from and what your experience on this trail has been like. The more creative, the better!
See complete rules and details below.
- There is no fee to enter the contest. All video entries must be taken inside Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park between August 1, 2020 – October 15, 2020, on at least four of the six different hiking trails in areas accessible to guests.
The contest is open to amateur and professional videographers.
- One entry per person can be submitted via any of the following ways to be eligible:
- Facebook: Like the Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park page and share your video post on your wall. Tag us (@ChimneyRockParkNC) on your post and use hashtag #ChimneyRockChallenge. Then, send us a private message with your mailing address so we can send you your Chimney Rock Challenge button.
- Instagram: Follow Chimney Rock State Park and share your video post. Tag us (@ChimneyRockNC) on your post and use hashtag #ChimneyRockChallenge. Then, send us a private message with your mailing address so we can send you your Chimney Rock Challenge button.
- Each video entry should be no longer than 60 seconds.
- Videos should be taken via smartphones, tablets and other camera devices that meet minimum requirements for uploading to social media.
- For entries showing other human faces, you must list their name(s) and have written permission to use their image.
- All video submissions MUST contain only family-friendly content and be taken on designated trails.
- Do not violate any of the Park’s rules.
- Be creative and have fun!
- Recreate responsibly!
Qualified entries may be featured on Chimney Rock’s social media channels and possibly on our website. For more information, call 828-625-9611 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.