Chimney Rock Construction Projects Progress

Chimney Rock Construction Projects Progress

There are lots of projects underway this season, but when everything is completed, we’re all going to be in for a real treat. A larger, shady deck designed for resting and enjoying programs and a wider, more substantial stairway to the waterfall trail are currently in the making.

It looks like Crevice Pass, the new feature that connects to the Outcroppings trail to the “Rock,” will be open by mid-May.  You’ll like how this alternate path threads between the boulders and joins the staircase that leads up the mountain. Once this bypass is ready, the deck at Gneiss Cave will be closed. The first delivery of steel for the deck columns has been scheduled for delivery this month while the steel for the beams will come soon after.
Once all of the steel has been set, wood framing for the structure can begin. If all goes as planned, the space should be ready for use by mid-summer. Erection of the steel supports for the connector trail will follow.

The upgrades to the elevator will continue throughout the summer.  In mid-June, the Park will be closed a day or two while a helicopter removes old equipment from the penthouse on top of the shaft. We’ll post the date on our website as soon as it is confirmed.  It won’t be safe for us to be in the Park while materials are being flown overhead, but you’ll be able to get a good view of the flying activity from the Gathering Place located above the public parking lot in Chimney Rock Village.

Hiking is definitely the way to go this season.  With our heavy rains, we’ve experienced a few setbacks on getting the Skyline Trail ready, but we do anticipate opening the trail sometime this season.

Watch for updates on all of these projects on our website, or better yet, come see the progress for yourself.  We’re sorry about the inconvenience and appreciate your interest and understanding as these improvements are being made.

Comments

1. Shelia Hayes says:

I’ve been going to Chimney Rock for over 37 years and I am so glad some of the old Trails are getting an upgrade. It’s always been my most favorite place for me and my husband to spend time at the top of the waterfall. Do you know if the waterfall the top part will be open again anytime soon?

1. Amber White says:

Hi Sheila,
      We are so glad that you’re excited about the upgrades and improvements happening in the Park. We’re pretty excited about them too! The trail that takes you to the top of Hickory Nut Falls will be opening again soon. We don’t have an exact time frame yet, but we are hoping it will be open this summer. Please feel free to check in with us a little later in the season for more updates.

2. Rob Hunter says:

This is very exciting. My son and I live in Black Mountain and love coming to visit Chimney Rock. We have our annual pass and look forward to seeing you many times this summer.

1. Landdis says:

We’re so glad you and your son enjoy our Park! Hope to see you all in Chimney Rock again soon!

3. Martha Gordon says:

Hi folks! We love, love Chimney Rock Park!!! Are there any plans to fix the elevator to the top? I do miss that wonderful ride!

1. Landdis says:

Martha,
      As it says in the article, work is currently being done on the elevator and it is expected to be in service later this year.

Thank you for your inquiry! Visit chimneyrockpark.com for the latest construction news.

4. Kandus says:

Will you be making a formal announcement when the upper trail opens? We have been waiting for it to open for so many years. I understand it takes time but its been closed for over a decade and nothing can compare to sitting on top of the mountain watching the falcons and having a picnic, its so amazing. We will definitely be back as soon as it opens and we dont want to miss it!

1. Landdis says:

Kandus,
      We will definitely be making a formal announcement when the upper trail opens. Thanks for your inquiry!

5. Michael Helms says:

I’m (nearly) 65 and still have vivid memories of family vacation at Chimney Rock Park probably 55 years ago. I’m happy to see some of the currently closed areas being opened again – ones from my childhood. My wife and I dearly love the park and the Village. It’s our favorite destination getaway. The River Walk is so relaxing and the Rocky Broad River flowing past our second home, a bed and breakfast, makes it the perfect place to unwind.

1. Landdis says:

Michael,
      We’re so glad you hold a special place in your heart for the Park and Chimney Rock Village. Thank you for your kind words. They mean the world to us. We hope to see you again soon at Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park.

6. Linda Thompson says:

I lived in Chimney Rock for years…..the Park will always be in my heart. Thanks for sharing the wonderful improvements 💕

1. Landdis says:

We always love hearing from our visitors! Thank you so much for your input, Linda.

7. Alan says:

Hello I have not seen the park yet but I do plan on going one day , Are they planning on making a campground there since it is a state park ?

1. Landdis says:

Alan,
      One day there may be camping here in the Park, but at this time no decision on adding camping has been made. We hope you come and enjoy the Park one of these days! Thanks again for your inquiry.